I am going to be totally honest and say that I am not a fan of football, but, once a year, I sit in front of the tv with the boys in my house and chow down on some delicious food and anxiously wait for the half time show.
I plaster a smile across my face and pretend like I know exactly what is going on and that I am having the time of my life. I don’t call it deception, I call it appreciation. For those I love, I will join them in their love of all things sports (at least for one day).
This year, I let the boys decide the menu. As 8 and 10 year old boys, they have strong opinions of what takes place in the kitchen. Although, the rest of the year, we stick to my rule of there is only one banned food (I will explain that in future blogs), today, they get to plan the menu.
Here’s what they came up with. I would say the proposed menu is very boring, but considering it probably reflects the majority of households on this day, who am I to judge?
- Nachos covered in cheese with a side of salsa and sour cream
- Baked wings (my secret is to bake them twice to turn them crispy and delicious. I bake them on parchment paper or aluminum foil for 30 minutes and then I take them out and replace the foil or paper and put them back in the oven to bake again. This gets rid of all of the grease and makes them super delicious! I do a quick dry rub first of paprika, italian season, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and a touch of chili. Once baking is complete I cover with any store bought BBQ sauce.
- Hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls. ( don’t judge, we all have done it)
- Focaccia bread – This time, I made a peach and tomato salsa to go on top. It is so easy and literally took less than five minutes. I cut up two peaches and three tomatoes and added grated onion, olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, parsley, chili powder and salt & pepper. Let it sit for ten minutes and then pile it on top of the pre-baked bread.
- Potato skins covered in cheese and bacon.
I have absolutely no photos to show as we were so focused on eating and the game, I forgot to take any. Oh well, there is always next year.
So although it is not my favorite thing to watch, the Superbowl is a great excuse to get cozy with the kids and enjoy some delicious comfort food. Hope you enjoyed watching the game and seeing the best comeback of all time.